With so much to do during your time in Rome, having a quick and delicious meal is essential if you want to make the most of your time. Here is our list of the best ‘cheap and cheerful’ restaurants near the Colosseum:
1. PASTA CHEF: Hand-made pasta is the feature of this delicious little pasta joint, along with a choice of mouthwatering sauces made fresh daily. Carbonara, amatriciana, pesto, you name it. They also have seasonal specials that are out of this world. Grab a seat or order to go.
ADDRESS: Via Baccina, 42, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 12:30-21:30 MON-SUN
CONTACT: +39 06 488 3198
2. RISTORANTE CLETO’S: This local restaurant is family-owned and operated. Cleto, the charismatic owner, is originally from Sardegna and his twin daughters, along with their husbands, work alongside him. The pasta is always on point, the meat dishes are delicious, the house wine is lovely and it's just a few minutes from the Colosseum. What more could you ask for?
ADDRESS: Via del Buon Consiglio, 17, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 12:00-23:30 MON-THU
CONTACT: +39 06 6975 9295
3. TRATTORIA LUZZI: Luzzi’s is a landmark in the Celio neighborhood. The staff are loud and funny - even a bit sassy - and the food is no-frills yet delicious. The menu has many options including pizza, pasta, and second courses such as roast chicken or lasagna. The price is just right as well, with a plate of pasta from €6. If the wait is too long, you can always check out Luzzi’s #2 around the corner - a slightly more upscale version.
ADDRESS: Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano, 88, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 07:30-00:00 THU-TUE
CONTACT: +39 06 709 6332
4. ALLE CARRETTE: A neighborhood pizzeria based in the quiet side of Monti and just 5 minutes from the Colosseum. For a classic Italian meal go for the fritti misti starter, a wood-oven baked pizza and a glass of beer or house wine. The cozy atmosphere is perfect for a family meal.
ADDRESS: Via della Madonna dei Monti, 95, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 12:00-15:30 & 19:00-23:30 MON-SUN
CONTACT: +39 06 679 2770
5. OSTERIA DELLA SUBURRA: This no-frills restaurant is sure to be one of your favorite places in Rome. The menu changes with the seasons and the pasta is made by hand every morning. You can’t get more authentic and the quality of the ingredients is well worth the price.
ADDRESS: Via Urbana, 67, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 13:00-15:00 & 19:00-23:00 TUE-SUN
CONTACT: +39 06 486531