Rome has so much to see that it can be difficult to fit everything in. Just because you are short on time, doesn’t mean you should settle for bad food. Here is our list of top 5 on-the-go food places near the Colosseum:
1. LA BOCCACCIA ($): This cute little pizzeria al taglio (pizza by the slice) features classic italian flavors as well as suppli. The pizza is pay-by-weight so you can get as much or as little as you want. Our recommendation: get a mix of flavors, a suppli and drink and then head to the fountain in Piazza della Madonna dei Monti to sit and people-watch while you enjoy your meal.
ADDRESS: Via Leonina, 73, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 09:00-23:00 MON-SUN
CONTACT: +39 06 4890 2563
2. DELI AT ALIMENTARI LA VOGLIA: This small, corner alimentari might not seem like a busy paninoteca, but local workers and businessmen come here for their daily panini. Head to the counter in the back and select from a selection of premade sandwiches or make your own with whatever they have available. You can even add toppings like sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes or pesto.
ADDRESS: Via Cavour, 297, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS : 08:30-18:00 MON-SUN
3. L’ANGELO DER PANINO: This panino and dine-in joint also caters to the locals that work near the Colosseum. Their specialty is a porchetta sandwich that is truly delicious. If you have time, sit down and enjoy your meal with a glass of wine, otherwise take it to go.
ADDRESS: Via Cavour, 286, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 10:00-23:00 MON-SAT; 11:00-18:00 SUN
CONTACT: +39 392 432 5794
4. CE STAMO A PENSA: This is a wonderful little spot full of flavor and home-cooked food. The meals are hearty - pizza rustica filled with cheese and cured meats, eggplant parmigiano, meatballs in tomato sauce - all easily wrapped up to go. It is located in the heart of Monti so there are plenty of piazzas where you can enjoy your meal.
ADDRESS: Via Leonina, 81, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 10:00-01:30 SAT-WED; 10:00-02:30 THU/FRI
CONTACT: +39 06 6936 3154
5. SUPERMARKET CARREFOUR: This small 24-hour supermarket is just a few minutes from the Colosseum in the neighborhood of Celio. Pre-made salads and sandwiches are in the cooler as you enter and there is a deli counter in the back. Great place to pick up some snacks and fresh fruit.
ADDRESS:Via dei Santi Quattro, 00184 Roma RM
HOURS: 24 hours
CONTACT: +06 7759 0745